The following sample questions are illustrative of those found in the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination.
1. A prescription order for an antibiotic preparation includes the directions, "ii gtt AU q.i.d." What auxiliary label should be affixed to the prescription order container?
2. To dispense an order calling for: prednisone 5 mg, one t.i.d. X 3 days; one b.i.d. X 3 days; one q.d. X 3 days, the total medication needed is:
3. An example of a major drug-drug interaction would be:
4. A physician orders 125 mg/5 mL Dilantin suspension to replace an order reading, "Dilantin 100 mg, Dispense: #30, Sig: i t.i.d." What quantity of suspension should be dispensed?
5. Heparin 25,000 U in 250 mL D5W is running through an administration set delivering 60 drops/mL. The flow rate required to deliver a heparin dose of 15 U/min is:
6. A common name for an inventory process that relies on pharmacy staff to write down items to be reordered is:
7. Hospitals or managed health-care organizations list drugs that have been approved for use on the basis of therapeutic and economic considerations. What is the common name of such a list of drugs?
8. The appearance of crystals in mannitol injection would indicate that the product:
9. A device that detects the signals and controls the flow of information between two computers communicating via a telephone line is the:
10. Upon receipt of a phone call regarding accidental poison ingestion, the pharmacy technician may do all of the following except: